Sunday, June 22, 2008

Silence

My house is completely silent right now, minus the sound of my fingers on the keyboard. Do you like silence? Sometimes I do. For me, it's easiest to think, to get work done, to study, etc, in silence. Some people insist on having music or background noise to help them think. Not me, it's too distracting. I like to have silence then, but I prefer some noise most of the time. I love the sound of my husband's laughter, I love the sound of my Jonah asking incessant questions, I love the sound of Solomon's squeals, and I love the sound of music. My favorite musical sound is that of worship...I love to hear a church full of people singing to the Lord...it's amazing to me. This morning I had one of those "goosebump" moments at church. I don't even remember the particular song we were singing, but the band was great, the mix was perfect (thank you Mike), and I just stopped singing for a second to hear all the voices blend together... it was beautiful. I picture Jesus in Heaven, closing his eyes, smiling and feeling such love for his children. That's a wonderful noise. I also love the sound of prayer...when a room of people are praying in small circles (as us Christians like to do). The hum of prayers being lifted up to our Savior is precious. It's encouraging to me to listen to that, to know all these people are asking, thanking, petitioning to Him, just like I am. I love those noises.

Then there are noises that I don't like... children screaming (well, all screaming for that matter), my husband snoring, food being chewed, my dog growling in the night, and really loud bass from the ghetto car next to you at a stop light.

Silence is different though... it's lonely to me. Especially at night time, I feel empty in the silence. I don't know why, but I don't like it. I want the TV on just to feel like I'm not alone... but I'm still yearning for something that's not here.

Tonight it is silent, and noise would be welcome...

No comments: